India is among the largest book-producing countries and ranks second in the production of books in English after the USA.
India also has the largest market for books and is an active partner in the international trade of books. According to the recently published report by Nielsen, there are over 9000 publishers in India. Nielsen estimates the sector is now worth INR 463.53 billion.
The size of the publishing sector is estimated to be INR 260.6 billion, which is bigger that the film industry (INR 125.3 billion) and the music, radio and gaming industry (INR 43.4 billion).
The Indian publishing industry is growing at an impressive pace and India is one of the few major markets in the world which is still witnessing growth both in print and digital publishing.
India has 16 Languages in which organised/semi-organised publishing exists. Within the Indian languages: Hindi controls about 35% of the market, Malayalam 8%, Bengali 6%, Marathi 4% and Others 47%.
Year on year PubliCon has covered several topics concerning publishing industry and served as the powerful platform to ponder over and churn out futuristic solutions through debates and ideation amongst industry think tanks.
Publicon 2018 is going to be held on December 06, 2018 at FICCI. The theme of this year is “Publishing in Indian Languages”. The focus areas of the programme are:
- Promotion of Indian language content
- Evaluate potential of language publishing in India and ways
- Enabling language publishers by presenting right set of opportunities
- Language Technologies
- Use of Artificial Intelligence in Translation of Indian Languages
There will be exclusively curated parallel sessions for upcoming authors, marketers and creative minds looking to make lucrative career in publishing.
- Event type: G-B-B-C
- Location: FICCI Federation House, New Delhi
- Expected Delegates: 250 – 300
- Delegate Pofile: CXOs of publishing houses, Editors, Authors, Public policy officials, Rights Managers, Marketing Managers, Publishing service providers, Suppliers & Allied Industry, Associations, Agencies & Media
- Expected Government Participation:– Central and State Governments, Government agencies with publishing mandate, Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Human Resource Development
- Format: One day event, with panel discussions and curated sessions for publishers, authors, technology providers, marketers and creative minds
- Evaluate potential of language publishing in India
- Gain a modern outlook using artificial intelligence and other language technologies
- Discover the opportunities in translations
- Explore Technical transformation of the publishing industry
- Stay updated on the latest advances in the field of publishing
- Compare and evaluate the right growth format for your publishing enterprise